Jeera rice recipe – A super simple & quick recipe to make fluffy, non-sticky & flavorful jeera rice every time. Jeera rice is a flavored Indian rice dish made by cooking basmati rice with ghee, cumin & other fragrant spices. Making jeera rice is one of the simplest & only needs a handful of ingredients that are mostly pantry staples. It goes so well with any sides like curries, dal or even with stew.
I make jeera rice every other day since it is easy to deal with my fussy kids. They love this with almost any curry, dal & even with a raita. Sometimes they also carry it to school with some veggies.
Jeera rice can be made in a regular pot, traditional pressure cooker or Instant pot. I have instructions for all of them in this post.
Tips to make the best jeera rice
Cumin or jeera helps in digestion, so I often include in our menu especially when I plan to cook up for a heavy meal. Here are some sides you may like to check
Paneer butter masala
Paneer tikka masala
Make the perfect jeera rice that’s non sticky, fluffy & aromatic. Instructions included to make jeera rice in a regular pot, traditional pressure cooker & Instant pot.
Ingredients for jeera rice recipe
How to make the recipe
Preparation for jeera rice
Wash rice until water runs clear, Then soak in lot of water for at least 20 to 30 mins. Drain it completely.
How to make jeera rice
Saute bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms and mace until they begin to sizzle. Fry jeera on a low flame until a nice aroma comes out. Add green chilli.
Transfer drained rice to the cooker and roast for 2 to 3 mins. This helps to bring out the aroma of the rice.
Pour water and add salt. Stir well and taste the water. It must be slightly salty.
Bring water to a boil on a high flame.
Making Jeera rice in pressure cooker – Cover the pressure cooker with a lid. Cook on a high heat for 1 whistle. For al dente rice, I release the pressure carefully after 2 mins with the help of a wooden spatula.
When the pressure goes off. Open the lid and fluff up jeera rice with a fork. Serve with any curry.
Making jeera rice in Instant pot
Press saute button and heat ghee in the inner pot of instant pot. Add all the spices & saute for 2 mins until they turn fragrant. Add the drained rice and chilli. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
Pour 2 cups water and add salt. Stir and taste the water. If needed add more salt.
Secure the lid & set the steam release value to sealing. Pressure cook on high pressure for 5 mins. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 8 to 9 mins. Then use a kitchen towel & remove the rest of the pressure manually.
Fluff up the Jeera rice & add some coriander leaves.
Notes for jeera rice recipe
You can also make this dish just by sauteing the spices in butter and then mixing with the cooked salted rice.
For more details please check method 2 in step by step photos.
Jeera rice can be made in 2 ways. In this post I am sharing both the methods of making jeera rice. In the first method, rice and jeera are cooked together along with spices. In the second method, rice is cooked first and then seasoned with cumin, spices and butter. This method is often followed in the restaurants.
Preparation for jeera rice recipe or jeera pulao
1. Wash basmati rice until clear and soak it for at least 20 mins. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat ghee or oil in a pan. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, mace and jeera. You can also skip all the spices and just use jeera.
3. Saute them on a medium to low flame until jeera begins to smell good.
4. Optional – You can also add thinly sliced onions and deseeded green chilies. Earlier I would use onions, In the recent times I have begun to skip them as my kids don’t prefer onions in jeera rice.
Some people also use red chilli. If you like you can deseed and use them now. If using onions then saute them until golden. I fry a little more than you see in the picture.
How to make jeera rice recipe
5. Add drained rice.
6. Fry for 2 to 3 mins on a high flame. Do not stir vigorously the rice grains will break.
7. Pour water. Then add in salt and stir. Taste the water and adjust salt as needed.
8. Cover and pressure cook on a high flame for 1 whistle. Or cook on a medium flame until the water is almost absorbed. When there is very little water left, cover and cook for just 5 mins on a low flame. Switch off before it whistles if making in cooker. You can follow the same method to make it in pot.
9. When the pressure goes off, open the lid.
10. Fluff up gently . you can also add a bit more of ghee if desired.
Method 2 – Jeera rice recipe
This method is more flavorful with the aroma of butter and cumin. This is good to make for occasions or when you have guests home since a good amount of butter goes into this.
1. Cook rice with salt to grainy and set aside to cool.
2. Add 1 tbsp butter to a hot pan.
3. Next add star anise, mace, cloves, cinnamon, cardamon, bay leaf and green chili. Saute for 1 to 2 mins.
4. Lower the heat, add jeera.
5. Saute until you begin to smell them good. It takes around 2 to 3 mins. Switch off the stove.
How to make jeera rice recipe
6. Add 1 tbsp more of butter along with finely chopped coriander leaves. If your rice isn’t got enough salt you can add a bit more to the pan.
7. Then add it to the rice. Mix gently. Make sure the rice is cooled completely before mixing it.
Serve jeera rice with any gravy.